Ground shaking and deafening roars are part of a child’s imagination as they picture the most epic dinosaur toys. Vision can unlock so much for kids, and I’ll share how in the ultimate guide to the best dinosaur toys. After that, everything becomes possible, and nothing’s too far-fetched for a dino-loving kid.
My son’s an avid lover of dinosaur-themed toys, and I’m always looking for ways to help him navigate his wild imagination. Dino toys come in various types and offer numerous playtime activities. However, they’re one of the most age-appropriate imaginary inspirations for toddlers and preschoolers. Allow me to show you why.
The Ultimate Dinosaur Toy for Roaring Excitement
Dinosaurs are a longer-than-human-life inspiration for toys, and kids love them. Girls or boys of all ages can find a fantastic dinosaur toy. However, the first eight years of a child’s life is a crucial stage, where they’re learning a lot and could benefit from imaginative play. Hence, it’s my target age.
Ultimately, my favorite dinosaur toy appeals to preschoolers because my kids are over the toddler stage. The Ultimate Dinosaur Toy for Preschoolers works for ages four to eight. In addition, the RC Dinosaur Car offers children a world of wonder, with sounds, lights, effects, remote control, and boundless imagination.
The dinosaur car doubles as a monster truck, and children can enjoy the sensory, imaginative, interactive, and educational play. The dinosaur toy helps children develop hand-eye coordination, musical, critical thinking, problem-solving, and early science skills. It’s a world of dino-wonder in the palm of a child’s hand.
However, I also have two more favorite dinosaur toys for each age group. Check them out before learning why dinosaur toys are priceless for early childhood development.
An Ultimate Guide to the Best Dinosaur Toys
Dinosaur toys offer a world of prehistoric imaginative play with bonuses like sensory, constructive, and educational playtimes. But first, let’s see why the toy theme is as priceless as kids make it sound. In addition, I’ll share the number one tip for choosing the best dinosaur toys and how I selected the ultimate choices.
Prehistoric Inspiration for Kids of All Ages
Dinosaur toys are madness for kids of any age, whether toddlers, preschoolers, tweens, or teenagers. My son has just become a teenager and still loves collecting dino-inspired toys. In addition, he still builds dinosaur model kits and plays with remote-controlled toys. So, dinosaurs are one toy theme that transcends age groups.
The dinosaur toy theme also transcends genders. Boys love scary-looking, gigantic, and ferocious dinosaurs. However, little girls love the cartoon-like dinos that fly and run faster than the wind. I love toy themes that cross gender and age gaps. There are fantastic dinosaur-inspired toys for boys, girls, and any age you can imagine.
What value do the best dinosaur toys bring to your dino-loving child? Well, it starts with a touch of imaginative play. Role-playing, pretend play, and simulated playtime activities help kids to develop essential skills. Some include emotional, social, language, critical thinking, creative, problem-solving, and behavioral development.
Encouraging imaginative play in early childhood development (the first eight years) is as vital as nourishing their bellies for physical growth. However, nurturing their imaginations is a careful process with age-appropriate toys, leading to my advice.
Tips for Dinosaur Toys
Choosing a child’s favorite dino-themed toy requires some finesse. However, it’s not complicated as long as you follow age-appropriate guidelines. Children must play with age-appropriate toys in early childhood because they learn to navigate specific skills at certain milestones.
You can’t expect a two-year-old to develop math skills, and you can’t expect a child to only develop language skills by eight. So, I look for the best dinosaur toys for my children, knowing they’ll get the most of every playtime, imaginary or not. Additionally, age-appropriate toys offer improved safety for kids during play.
Following the recommended ages on each toy is the best guidance system you can provide for a dino-loving child. Now, I’ll show you how I picked the best dinosaur toys to simplify your choices.
Choosing the Ultimate Dinosaur Toys
Knowing the value of imaginative play in early childhood development inspired how I picked the best dinosaur toys. I want two of the best (and different types) of dino toys for ages one to eight. The toy should inspire imaginative play, and other playtime activities would be a bonus.
Ultimate Dinosaur Toy Guide for Every Age
Age-appropriate dinosaur toys will welcome children to an imaginative realm. They enjoy additional activities, whether rolling over toes with a remote-controlled dinosaur or making noises with an interactive model. Let’s understand why each dino toy wins, how it may fall short, and what activities it holds.
New toddlers are one of the most challenging for whom I had to find dinosaur toys. Young toddlers are still learning to experience the world through toys and activities. However, many toys aren’t safe enough for the little hands and minds that need exercise. Thankfully, I found a dino toy safe with supervised play.
- Toy: Westminster Toys Dino Pals T-Rex Mechanical Dinosaur Plush
- Type: Interactive dinosaur plush toy
- Activities: Imaginative, sensory, interactive, and educational play
- Skills: Language, social, fine motor, sensory, and emotional skills
- This dinosaur plush is one of the most adorable things I’ve seen, and it comes with excellent interactive abilities to engage a young toddler’s mind and curiosity
- The interactive plush dinosaur toy has a mechanism that allows it to walk, roar, and wag its tail like a puppy because it wasn’t cute enough yet
- The toy targets young toddlers, but it has choking hazards and should be under supervised play
I found another fantastic dinosaur toy for young toddlers that won’t require supervised play. Some interactive dinosaur toys have larger pieces little ones can sort into holes, taking away the choking hazards. In addition, the educational dinosaur has bright colors to hold a child’s attention, which is challenging at the end of year one.
- Toy: VTech, Count and Chomp Dino, Dinosaur Learning Toy
- Type: Interactive dinosaur toy model
- Activities: Educational, sensory, constructive, and imaginative play
- Skills: Sorting, counting, sensory, colors, and fine motor skills
- The educational dinosaur toy is ideal for young toddlers starting the journey of counting numbers, recognizing colors, and sorting or fitting shapes into small holes
- I love how brightly-colored the toy dinosaur is and how adorable the head lights up, and the model has musical features to help little ones learn numbers, letters, and sounds
- The dinosaur toy doesn’t look much like a dino (unless it’s a cartoon one), but it works for the age group
Many plush toys aren’t suitable for kids under three. However, a few exceptions exist because plush dinosaurs are a fantastic way to introduce the littlest fingers to textures, an essential part of learning at this age. Toddlers don’t know how everything feels, and giving them a plush friend that welcomes a new surface is incredible.
- Toy: Buy Living Textiles Taylor T-Rex Knit Plush Toy
- Type: Textured dinosaur plush
- Activities: Sensory, imaginative, and social play
- Skills: Fine motor, texture recognition, emotional, language, and social
- The knitted dinosaur plush offers a world of sensory wonders with a texture most two-year-olds don’t know yet, and it looks pretty cute for a dino plush
- The stuffed dinosaur toy additionally provides comfort to children struggling to develop social, emotional, and language skills by being their first best friend
- The dinosaur plush color is off-beat because gray is an unattractive color for two-year-olds
Admittedly, I’m skeptical about jack-in-the-box toys for younger children because they frighten easily. However, you can learn more about many sounds and jacks that terrify little kids in my best jack-in-the-box toys guide. Fortunately, the dinosaur jack-in-the-box toy pops a friendly dino with fantastic music that won’t scare kids.
- Toy: Jack Rabbit Creations Dinosaur Jack-in-the-Box
- Type: Interactive dinosaur toy
- Activities: Interactive, sensory, educational, and imaginative play
- Skills: Patience, perspective-taking, fine motor, language, and emotional skills
- The dinosaur jack-in-the-box toy is welcome to this list because it offers no sudden frights with a super-friendly dino pop and music little ones already know
- The artwork around the box is also attractive for young eyes who love bright colors and simple pictures, and the wind-up is accessible for developing hands to crank
- Check out my jack-in-the-box toy article first to ensure your little one loves this dino toy
Things get far more enjoyable once toddlers start feeling the urge to pull things apart and put them back together. Indeed, younger toddlers also begin experimenting with constructive toys. However, this STEM dinosaur toy is ideal for three-year-olds learning the earliest math, science, engineering, and technology.
- Toy: Insten Take-Apart Stegosaurus Dinosaur STEM toy
- Type: STEM dinosaur educational toy
- Activities: Constructive, educational, sensory, interactive, and imaginative play
- Skills: Early cognitive, critical thinking, problem-solving, fine motor, and creative skills
- The STEM dinosaur toy is the ultimate of my picks for toddlers because it targets their critical minds while they have loads of fun, and it has beautiful bright colors and shapes
- The STEM dinosaur toy has lights and sounds to offer a complete sensory experience while kids can deconstruct and reconstruct the adorable and happy dinosaur figure
- The dinosaur toy may cause frustration with kids who can’t screw and unscrew the parts
Construction toys are valuable to three-year-olds because they need to exercise their critical minds, improving their creative and emotional thoughts. LEGO kits are one of the greatest methods for little ones to learn early construction play. In addition, they end up with a beautiful dinosaur playset for imaginative play.
- Toy: LEGO Duplo T-Rex and Triceratops Dinosaur Building Kit
- Type: Dinosaur building kit
- Activities: Construction, educational, and imaginative play
- Skills: Fine motor, critical thinking, problem-solving, emotional, and creative skills
- The LEGO Duplo dinosaur building kit is ideal for kids over two, more likely the three-year-olds, and it only comes with a 36-piece challenge for them to enjoy
- Little ones can enjoy playing any imaginative games from Camp Cretaceous and Jurassic World once they finish building the set, and they get two dinosaur figures
- The LEGO dinosaur kit is limited to younger toddlers because it doesn’t offer much challenge
Four-year-olds become far more curious about the world and love asking a long list of questions. My son was interested, and I always tried to fulfill his need for general knowledge as a four-year-old. Sometimes, his questions were obscene, but kids know how to surprise us. Dinosaurs were one of his better question lines.
- Toy: Interactive Dinosaur Activity Book
- Type: Interactive dinosaur storybook
- Activities: Imaginative, educational, and interactive play
- Skills: Critical thinking, general knowledge, communication, and social skills
- The interactive dinosaur activity book is a gorgeous tool for parents who need a more exciting way to explain the dinosaurs to little kids with curious minds and endless questions
- The dinosaur storybook has interactive qualities like sounds, lights, and cause-and-effect pages, and it teaches curious minds about 30 different dinosaur species and their names
- Interactive dinosaur storybooks, unfortunately, require batteries and make some creepy sounds
Four-year-olds also love pushing buttons to get responses from their favorite toys. Many dinosaur toys offer interactive qualities like lights, sounds, and movements. This dino toy is my pick because it provides a sense of ferocity with the chains. In addition, they are showing children how dangerous the T-Rex can be.
- Toy: Fisher-Price Imaginext Jurassic World Dominion Mega Stomp Dinosaur
- Type: Interactive dinosaur figure
- Activities: Interactive, sensory, and imaginative play
- Skills: Curiosity, cause-and-effect, fine motor, and problem-solving skills
- The Jurassic World dinosaur model has excellent abilities, capable of stomping and shaking the ground as kids roll the massive dinosaur across the floor on easy-moving wheels
- The dinosaur figure also has articulated movements for kids to change its arms and neck, and the mouth opens to let out an enormous roar of ferocity
- Some four-year-olds might still be skittish with scary dinosaur toys
Have you ever seen your child at a dinosaur expo or museum? My son wanted to ride every dinosaur he found. He didn’t merely want to play with or admire the models and fossils. He wanted to become one with the dinosaurs. Therefore, I’m adding a ride-on dinosaur ATV as the best dino toy for five-year-olds.
- Toy: Power Wheels Jurassic World Ride-On Dino ATV
- Type: Ride-on dinosaur ATV
- Activities: Physical, imaginative, and interactive play
- Skills: Gross motor, critical thinking, spatial awareness, and creative skills
- The ride-on dinosaur ATV is a beautiful choice for five-year-olds who want to be one with the creatures, and it allows them to enjoy physical play, a rarity in the toy theme
- The dinosaur ATV looks like the green raptor from Camp Cretaceous, and five-year-olds are likely already familiar with the Jurassic World animated series on Netflix
- Kids can get hurt on ride-on dinosaur ATVs, but the risk isn’t higher than on most outdoor toys
Five-year-olds also benefit from constructive play. LEGO kits offer a range of age-appropriate options for dinosaur-inspired toys. My son and daughter have enjoyed LEGO building kits from their favorite toy themes since their earliest days. I love the educational qualities of a dinosaur building kit and the endless play after.
- Toy: LEGO Jurassic World Dinosaur Escape Kit
- Type: Dinosaur building kit
- Activities: Constructive, creative, and imaginative play
- Skills: Creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- The LEGO dinosaur building kit offers a slightly more complex challenge for five-year-olds, coming with 129 pieces and moving parts for interactive play after the completion
- The dinosaur building kit encourages children to dig into their creative sides before they enjoy playing with a Stygimoloch dino, LEGO car, and a Jurassic slide
- The LEGO dinosaur set has many small parts children quickly lose, which may be frustrating
Kids reach an exciting age by six, and their imaginations don’t need as much encouragement. My son played the most awe-inspiring games when he was six. Some of his favorite toys were simple figures, animals, dinosaurs, and anything he could use to create his own story. Inspire six-year-olds to find their stories.
- Toy: Jurassic World Dino Rivals Indominous Rex Figure
- Type: Dinosaur action figure
- Activities: Pretend-play and sensory play
- Skills: Creativity, critical thinking, social, and emotional skills
- The Dino Rivals Indominous Rex toy figure is a masterpiece that appeals mainly to boys who love the scary-looking creatures from Camp Cretaceous
- The massive dinosaur action figure has movable joints and interactive qualities, including sound effects, roars, button-inspired movements, and a light-up throat for extra dangerous playtimes
- Again, some kids still won’t love scary-looking dinosaurs at six-years-old
Six-year-olds delve into their imaginations quickly, and you won’t always need complicated dinosaur toys to encourage imaginative play. In contrast, the Heroes of Goo Jit Zu offer a different type of toy with endless hours of excitement. My son loves the Goo Jit Zu brand, whether dinosaurs or superheroes. He can’t get enough of it.
- Toy: Heroes of Goo Jit Zu Dino Power Volcanic Rumble Set
- Type: Dinosaur sensory figures
- Activities: Sensory, interactive, social, pretend-play
- Skills: Sensory, creative, critical thinking, emotional, and social play
- The Heroes of Goo Jit Zu brings to life two dinosaur heroes from their galaxy, and both dinos have super stretchy and gooey abilities to keep children engaged for imaginative play
- Children can stretch the two gooey dino figures to find super goopy designs inside the squashed heroes, and the pack comes as a collectible for kids who love dinosaurs more than anything
- The Heroes of Goo Jit Zu dinos don’t look like traditional dinosaurs and might not appeal to everyone
By seven, a child’s curiosity and passion are burning for more answers. They’d love to understand how dinosaurs looked, felt, and functioned. I can’t imagine a better exploration exercise than having them construct their favorite dinos. It keeps their minds engaged with an educational activity while having fun.
- Toy: LEGO Creator Might Dinosaurs 3-in-1 Building Kit
- Type: LEGO dinosaur building kit
- Activities: Creative, constructive, imaginative, and educational play
- Skills: Creativity, critical thinking, social, problem-solving, and emotional skills
- Children can enjoy developing emotional resilience with a 3-in-1 dinosaur creator kit from LEGO because patience leads to resilience, and kids of this age require practice
- The LEGO dinosaur building kit is a mildly challenging one with 174 pieces, and kids can enjoy building three different dinosaurs with the same pieces, which only comes with Creator sets
- I know kids think dinosaurs are green, but the monotone blocks can be boring
My daughter is the creative child in our home. She’s a musical legend waiting to happen, or so I hope. However, I picked a dinosaur toy she would’ve loved a year back. She’s eight now and would likely still enjoy this creative dinosaur playset. It’s highly unusual because I didn’t know I’d find a clay model-building dino playset.
- Toy: Buy Discovery DIY Dinosaur 3-D Puzzle Triceratops Clay Kit
- Type: Dinosaur clay building kit
- Activities: Educational, sensory, and simulated play
- Skills: Creativity, critical thinking, emotional, and problem-solving skills
- I’m profoundly impressed that someone made a clay building kit for one of the most famous dinosaurs, particularly for younger girls
- The clay dinosaur building kit offers a different challenge for kids to develop creative skills, and the result is a beautifully colorful dinosaur model for a child’s bedroom
- It might be too challenging for some seven-year-olds
I’m sad to reach the final age group I chose for this article. Still, I narrowed the many dinosaur toys by focusing on early childhood development. Nonetheless, I’ll give eight-year-olds a dinosaur playset from their favorite Jurassic World animated series in 2022: Camp Cretaceous. My son and daughter watch every episode.
- Toy: Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous Kenji and Scorpius Rex Figures
- Type: Camp Cretaceous dinosaur figures
- Activities: Imaginative and interactive play
- Skills: Creativity, social, and emotional skills
- The Camp Cretaceous Kenji and Scorpius Rex figures appeal to most eight-year-olds because they can’t forget the showdown between them in season one
- Both figures come with movable joints, and the pack is ideal for dangerous role-playing games where Kenji must escape the dinosaur in a futuristic pod
- The dinosaur playset doesn’t offer a range of activities
I haven’t included a remote-controlled dinosaur yet, and my son chose this incredible dino for the age group. However, I agree that it suits eight-year-olds who love being more active outdoors. As a result, children can chase their favorite dinos around the garden while keeping a leash on them by using the remote control.
- Toy: Insten Remote Control T-Rex Dinosaur Figure
- Type: RC dinosaur figure
- Activities: Simulated and interactive play
- Skills: Self-control, creativity, social, and problem-solving skills
- The RC dinosaur figure looks like an abominable dino from the middle of prehistoric dangers, and kids around eight will love the scarier versions
- The remote-control allows children to imagine more games inside and outside, and the dinosaur’s mouth opens, and the arms and legs move
- I’m not in love with the bright red color, but my son wanted this dinosaur figure
I already shared my favorite dinosaur toy for preschoolers. However, kids gain interest in dinosaurs around later toddlerhood or early preschool ages. Hence, I’ve chosen an ultimate dino toy for this age range. In addition, my kids are older, so it makes sense to choose my favorite dino toy as one they’d still enjoy as much as any child.
- Toy: Dinosaur RC Monster Truck
- Type: RC dinosaur truck
- Activities: Imaginative, creative, interactive, and sensory play
- Skills: Fine motor, gross motor, creativity, problem-solving, social, and emotional skills
- The Dinosaur RC Monster Truck combines two toy themes boys love, and don’t be shocked when your little girl loves the toy
- The RC dinosaur vehicle has complete interactive qualities, with lights, sounds, roars, movements, and remote-control for kids who love exploring their imaginations
- Remote-control dinosaurs require batteries and make noises
Question: Which Dinosaur Fossil Kit Toy is Popular in 2022?
Answer: Dinosaur fossil kits are extraordinary toys from prehistoric times, but they appeal more to older kids and adults. The Triceratops Dig-A-Dino Fossil Kit is an excellent challenge for adults who love the hobby. However, the Dig-A-Dozen Dino Eggs Kit is fantastic for kids of most ages, and the challenge is ideal.
Question: Is My Child Clever if They Love Dinosaurs?
Answer: Dino-loving kids are unique and talented because they show persistence and curiosity. Can your child not stop talking about dinosaurs? Well, that’s a blessing because a recent study proved that dinosaur interest is better associated with improved linguistic and information processing skills. So yes, they’re as bright as a tack.
Question: At What Age Do Children Start Loving Dinosaurs?
Answer: Maybe you’re worried your kid isn’t into dinosaur toys yet, and that’s okay. Research shows that most children become interested or show intense interest in dinosaurs around four. So, look out for signs of a child talking non-stop about dinosaurs. They might even gain new interest in Camp Cretaceous.
More of the Best Dinosaur Toys at a Glance
- Best Dinosaur Toy for One-Year-Olds
- Second Best Dinosaur Toy for One-Year-Olds
- Best Dinosaur Toy for Two-Year-Olds
- Second Best Dinosaur Toy for Two-Year-Olds
- Best Dinosaur Toy for Three-Year-Olds
- Second Best Dinosaur Toy for Three-Year-Olds
- Best Dinosaur Toy for Four-Year-Olds
- Second Best Dinosaur Toy for Four-Year-Olds
- Best Dinosaur Toy for Five-Year-Olds
- Second Best Dinosaur Toy for Five-Year-Olds
- Best Dinosaur Toy for Six-Year-Olds
- Second Best Dinosaur Toy for Six-Year-Olds
- Best Dinosaur Toy for Seven-Year-Olds
- Second Best Dinosaur Toy for Seven-Year-Olds
- Best Dinosaur Toy for Eight-Year-Olds
- Second Best Dinosaur Toy for Eight-Year-Olds
- Ultimate Dinosaur Toy for Preschoolers
Ultimate Guide to the Best Dinosaur Toys: Roar’s Away
Dinosaur toys bring children’s most profound imaginative ideas to life, and there are countless benefits to them loving dino toys. Even the research showed how much dino-loving kids have to offer the world if you inspire them and encourage their passions. But, then, you merely have to pick an age-appropriate dino toy for them.
I recommend the Ultimate Dinosaur Toy for Preschoolers if your kid is between four and eight. The legendary playtime activities involved can groom a child’s passions. Similarly, the Best Dinosaur Toy for Three-Year-Olds will get a toddler’s head spinning around their early passion for dinosaurs.
Your child has the potential to be far more than you think. So, take their seemingly annoying habit of talking non-stop about dinosaurs, and turn it into a passion paving the way for their futures. Then, buy the best or second-best dinosaur toy for your little one, whether or not they show passion.